From 1890 to 1953, the Lyn-Lake and East Harriet neighborhoods were served by the Bryant
Avenue streetcar line that traveled from Lyndale Avenue to Lake Street, then east and south of
Lake Harriet and crossing Minnehaha Creek. Historian Aaron Isaacs will take us on a then-and-
now photo tour of the line from downtown to its terminals at 56th and Bryant and 54th and
Imagine displays of a bear, carousel, ostriches, and Shetland pony rides at Lake Harriet to
entertain visitors who came down to picnic, boat, or enjoy a concert. Concessionaires J. Palmer,
A.O. Hoyt, H.M. Barnet, and J.H. Eschman welcomed visitors and helped shape their experiences
in a picturesque setting once described as the “Coney Island of the West.”
John Scott Bradstreet, leading interior designer of the early 20 th century in the Twin Cities, traveled extensively to Europe and Asia on buying trips to furnish his retail shops and clients homes. Early on, he became enamored with the simple but elegant gardens of the Japanese artisans. Over the course of three decades, he either built or influenced over nine known gardens. One of the most well-known was that of Linden Hills resident, Frank F. Fletcher, on West 44th Street. Historian Kathy Kullberg will present her research into the discovery of these lost gardens.
In 1936, the Park Board designated 31 acres of the land along the north shore of Lake Harriet as
a bird sanctuary that was later named for Thomas Sadler Roberts, considered the father of
Minnesota ornithology. Constance Pepin and Stephen Greenfield, co-founders of the Friends of
Roberts Bird Sanctuary, will share history and images of this priceless oasis of nature that
nurtures wildlife and humans alike.
In 1905, Wonderland Park on East Lake Street was a popular amusement park where the
people of Minneapolis could ride one of the world’s finest carousels, witness amazing, death-
defying acts, and even tour a display of local premature infants being treated in the new
scientific marvel, an electric incubator. Susan Hunter Weir, Director of the Friends of the
Cemetery, Pioneers & Soldiers Memorial Cemetery, will share stories and images about this
time in Minneapolis history.
Dr. William Green, professor of history at Augsburg University, will present the story of Nellie
Francis, a black woman who helped lead the women’s suffrage campaign in 1919 and
successfully lobbied the legislature of 1920 to enact Minnesota’s anti-lynching law. Dr. Green’s
book on Nellie Francis will be published by the University of Minnesota Press in January.
Approximately 25,000 residents were displaced by the construction of I-35W that went between Crosstown, 2nd Ave and Stevens Ave in South Minneapolis. The public works construction project began in 1956 and was completed in 1967. Greg Donofrio, director of the U of MN Heritage Studies and Public History Program, and U of MN public historian Denise Pike have done extensive research on the building of 35W and are gathering stories from displaced residents. They will share their findings.
This program will be held on Zoom. We will send all who are on the LHHSG email list a link to join the Zoom session. If we do not have your email address, please call 612-926-0646 or email email@example.com and give us the email address where you’d like the link to be sent, so that you can participate. Everyone is welcome.