[VIRTUAL] Saving St. Anthony Falls

In 1876, the Corps of Engineers finished a massive concrete wall under the Mississippi River at St. Anthony Falls. It stands three stories tall and spans the river. It is an essential piece of Twin Cities infrastructure that no one can see and few know exists. It safeguards Minneapolis’ water supply and helps ensure the river doesn’t undermine bridges or other infrastructure. No one has inspected it for 145 years and no one accepts ownership. How much longer will it last? Retired Park Superintendent John Anfinson of the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area will share his concerns for this critical piece of our local infrastructure.

Update: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this talk will be held exclusively on Zoom. E-mail contact@lindenhillshistory.org for further information.

Streetcar Line: Bryant Avenue Line, with Aaron Isaacs

From 1890 to 1953, the Lyn-Lake and East Harriet neighborhoods were served by the Bryant
Avenue streetcar line that traveled from Lyndale Avenue to Lake Street, then east and south of
Lake Harriet and crossing Minnehaha Creek. Historian Aaron Isaacs will take us on a then-and-
now photo tour of the line from downtown to its terminals at 56th and Bryant and 54th and
Penn.

Historic Walking Tours at the Linden Hills Fall Festival

The Linden Hills History Study Group is excited to offer historic walking tours of Linden Hills during the upcoming Linden Hills Fall Festival on September 18, 2021. The group will offer two tours, beginning at 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m., leaving from their festival booth.

Space will be limited to 12 participants per tour. To ensure your spot, you can register before the festival. The tour is free, but donations of $5/person are encouraged. Donations will go towards supporting Linden Hills History Study Group. Donate at lindenhills.org/festival-walking-tours.

The Era of Lake Harriet Concessionaires, with Peter Sussman

Imagine displays of a bear, carousel, ostriches, and Shetland pony rides at Lake Harriet to
entertain visitors who came down to picnic, boat, or enjoy a concert. Concessionaires J. Palmer,
A.O. Hoyt, H.M. Barnet, and J.H. Eschman welcomed visitors and helped shape their experiences
in a picturesque setting once described as the “Coney Island of the West.”

The Lost Japanese Gardens of John Scott Bradstreet, with Kathy Kullberg

John Scott Bradstreet, leading interior designer of the early 20 th century in the Twin Cities, traveled extensively to Europe and Asia on buying trips to furnish his retail shops and clients homes. Early on, he became enamored with the simple but elegant gardens of the Japanese artisans. Over the course of three decades, he either built or influenced over nine known gardens. One of the most well-known was that of Linden Hills resident, Frank F. Fletcher, on West 44th Street. Historian Kathy Kullberg will present her research into the discovery of these lost gardens.

Thomas Sadler Roberts Bird Sanctuary history, with Constance Pepin

In 1936, the Park Board designated 31 acres of the land along the north shore of Lake Harriet as
a bird sanctuary that was later named for Thomas Sadler Roberts, considered the father of
Minnesota ornithology. Constance Pepin and Stephen Greenfield, co-founders of the Friends of
Roberts Bird Sanctuary, will share history and images of this priceless oasis of nature that
nurtures wildlife and humans alike.